On Becoming A Soldier


Right before I left for training, I posted some advice to future Soldiers.  When I posted that, I wasn't even really aware of what I had gotten myself into and what it really takes to be a Soldier.  Reading it now, it still have some good advice in there. But there are many other things I would like to tell people who are considering becoming a Soldier, or heading off to basic training.
 
Now that I have actually been through basic training and I really do know what it's like, I've got a few new words of wisdom.
 
1//There are a number of things that you will hear repeatedly in training.
Move with a purpose
If you are told to go somewhere, run. You are no longer on your own time.
Pay attention to detail
Listen to your instructions. Don't get all high speed and do things you weren't told to. They don't always like initiative! Maybe they didn't want you to do whatever you though was overachieving
Don't get complacent
   And for the love of all that is holy, do not get complacent. Right when you start to relax and think you've got it down is when you start to make mistakes.
 
2//Make Friends.
My bunk mate was my best battle buddy and I am so glad that I met her. We helped each other through some tough times during basic and it made it so much easier to have someone to lean on when it was getting hard to stand. Not only that, I she has become a life-long friend.
 
 
3//Sleep
Don't think you're super man and can stay up all night. Go to sleep. Chances are, you're going to get sick and you're going to be hungry and tired. Sleep! Life will be so much better if you just go to bed when the lights go out.
 
4//Don't be a shit bag.
There is no way to sugar coat this. Don't be a Blue Flacon. Don't ruin crap for you battles...just mind your business and take care of yourself. That's not to say that you shouldn't help people out when you get the chance, but just...don't be a shit bag Soldier. No one will like you!
 
 
5//Write letters call home, and keep your head up.
Basic training doesn't have to be hard. Personally, I found it pretty easy to get through, but the experience is different for every body. Just do your best and remember your warrior ethos.
 

I'm Katie. I'm a 20-something Soldier & student taking each day one step at a time. Living through all the growing pains that come with becoming that person that I always wanted to be & finding that bright side in all of this Camo-Colored Chaos. You can get to know more about me here.

Follow me on: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover