Bigger Than You & Me

Although I have always been appreciative of the Armed Forces, it means something completely different to me now. I believe I said something to the same effect last memorial day, but even since then my views have changed.

Ever since the first day of basic when I put on that uniform and looked in the mirror, I felt completely different about the military.

I always knew it was hard work, but until you live it, it's impossible to understand.

I work 16 hour days. Sometimes Longer.
I have been away from home for nearly 6 months. I'm missing the first months of my nieces life...

I wake up at 04 every day. On the weekends, I think I get to sleep in because I don't wake up until 05.
I eat in a cafeteria every day. The same old food every day every meal.
And I can eat it in ten minutes. No matter what it is or how it tastes.
I have to work out every weekday. It doesn't matter if I don't really feel good, if it's raining, if it's
cold, if it's hot...I'm out there getting it done. Plus, this vest is torture.

All these friends I'm making? We're all about to get spread out all over the world.
I live my life checking my watch just to make sure I'm not late for something.
I sustain relationships through the phone, letters, and internet.
I am constantly challenged in ways I never would be otherwise...
I have to wear my hair slicked back in a bun every day... (that's seems stupid, but it's the principle.)
If my bed isn't made in the morning, I can get a counseling statement that goes on my record!
I lose sleep every other night pulling fireguard.
I spend more time in formation than I do doing anything else.

My feet and legs constantly hurt and I am always wishing I was somewhere else.

But, with all this being said...I couldn't be any more proud to be serving in the military. I make sacrifices for my country every day, and I'm not even over seas! Imagine the types of sacrifices all of those who
are deployed are making as I type out this post.

This Memorial day weekend has been really great for me. Yesterday I hit the mini-golf course and spent some time with some friends that are leaving me this week for their duty stations and their homes...I had the day off and got to spend it out and about on post. I went bowling, enjoyed some real food, and went swimming. I couldn't have asked for a better day...I hope that today you took a moment to appreciate what you have because of the brave men and women who have fought for it.

They deserve at least that...they're all working for something so much bigger than you and me...

I'm Katie. I'm a 20-something Soldier & student taking each day one step at a time. Living through all the growing pains that come with becoming that person that I always wanted to be & finding that bright side in all of this Camo-Colored Chaos. You can get to know more about me here.

Follow me on: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.

4 comments:

Jen said...

I love this post! :)

Kim said...

Love this. Glad you had a great weekend! :)

erika said...

This is so well said. I know I couldn't do it, so I'm even more thankful for those that do!

erika said...

This is so well said. I know I couldn't do it, so I'm even more thankful for those that do!

 
Pin It button on image hover