When things become what they are not

Apparently, the post that I published yesterday about dealing with living with roommates was...misconstrued into me bashing my personal roommates and attempting to stir up trouble by asking people what annoys them about living with other people. 

I took down the post because people were offended by it and I'm not alrigjt with that. I don't want anyone to feel like they are being subject to...cyber bullying? On my blog. It was meant to be a humorous and relatable post. I wasn't targeting anyone or complaining about my roommates. I even began the post by saying that I liked them and that I gathered information from multiple sources about the difficulties of living in close quarters with another person. Or in our case, two other people. I even asked people about living with roommates outside of the military for the sake of having some good material to share with my readers. 

I just want to apologize to anyone who was offended by it or assumed that I was talking about them. That was not my intention and it upset me a little that people think I'm the type to talk crap about others behind their backs. I am not...I don't want to sit here all day defending myself when it was honestly just a general commentary, so I won't, but I wanted to be clear. 

I know that I'm not perfect. 
I have bad habits too.
I wake up my roommates before their alarms go off, I have an inability to put my shoes where they go, and I talk on the phone, probably too loud, with my family.   And I'm sure that they could complain anouy me all day! I have faults and so does everyone around me. My mission was to laugh about them together, but it didn't come across that way and for that I am sorry. 

It just goes to show that not everyone is going to like what you write. I wish that I didn't have to take it down, but out of respect for my roommates and anyone who felt like they were being made fun of I did it anyway. I hope that in the future I can be more conscious of the fact that sometimes people will take what you have to say and make it something that it's not and that becomes what it is. It's unfortunate, but it's true...


I'm Katie. I'm a 20-something Soldier & student taking each day one step at a time. Living through all the growing pains that come with becoming that person that I always wanted to be & finding that bright side in all of this Camo-Colored Chaos. You can get to know more about me here.

Follow me on: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.

3 comments:

Being Reese 2 said...

Oh for the love of... I read your post yesterday and found it hilarious and not the least bit inflammatory. I actually found myself relating to it because of my own personal experiences with roommates. In fact I distinctly remember you saying that your roommates were awesome.

The one thing I will say is that my experiences with my dad and fiance being in the Army have taught me don't publish ANYTHING about it. I would highly suggest not publishing anything else about it because you could inadvertently end up in trouble. I know that's the theme of your blog, but I suppose that comes with the territory.

Seriously though, you definitely don't need to apologize for anything. Certainly not because people are trying to stir the pot. Good luck!

Jen said...

Wow it's amazing how sensitive people are.

Jane said...

I wish I had read your post yesterday before you took it down. But, that sounds pretty ridiculous for people to get upset over. And, I mean hello, who hasn't had a crappy roommate before?

 
Pin It button on image hover