The Beginning

This blog is one unlike any that I have ever written.  Instead of being about the every day thoughts that tumble around in my brain, it's about my life. More specifically, my life that is yet to come. 
I am currently engaged to a United States Marine. I'm aware that you  think this is a blog you've read many times before about a girl who loves her Marine with all her heart and will support him and follow him anywhere he happens to go. And you would be right.
But we've also got a little twist to our story.

What's this twist you ask? Well I was supposed to be a Marine too.
We met in the Delayed Entry Program, or the DEP as it's most commonly referred to as.  Both of us were enlisted and had boot camp dates several months away. His was in September and mine was in October. We met on July 1, 2011. It was a hot day and we were heading to Physical Training (PT) together.  I had offered to pick him up because he didn't have a ride.  I had remember seeing him around and I didn't mind driving about 15 minutes in the wrong direction to go pick him up.  I even left about an hour early just in case I couldn't find his house or something...Kind of embarrassing.

Anyway, we didn't hit it off right away. We were just two kids right of high school talking about things that kids talk about. Music, the Marine Corps, tattoos, working out. Nothing too intense. But being the very social person that I am after that day, I texted him a little and we started talking and somehow, a few nights later it was the 4th of July and I was about to be a 3rd wheel to a good friend and her boyfriend. In a desperate attempt to avoid 3rd wheel syndrome, I texted him and told him what was up and amazingly enough he agreed to go with him to watch some fireworks with my friends.

After that night, we went out the next night. Then the next night, And the one after that, and the one after that...Basically, we just really seemed to get along and eventually decided that even though we were both heading off to boot camp in the fall, it was worth trying to be in a relationship. We made this decision 12 days after officially meeting eachother on the first of July...

Kinda quick. But here we are almost 9 months later, engaged and happy as can be.

There have been a few bumps in the road already for sure.

I broke my arm the day before my boot camp date and have now been "Permanently Disqualified" from the Marine Corps.
And I surprised J by showing up at his boot camp graduation in December.
He popped the question on Christmas night. And here we are. Planning to get married....10 years from now.
Okay, so not really, but that is certainly how it feels. If you thought that being married to someone in the Marines was difficult. Trying being engaged to one...forever.

This blog will follow us into matrimony and beyond...That is if we ever get to the matrimony part.



I'm Katie. I'm a 20-something Soldier & student taking each day one step at a time. Living through all the growing pains that come with becoming that person that I always wanted to be & finding that bright side in all of this Camo-Colored Chaos. You can get to know more about me here.

Follow me on: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.

No comments:

 
Pin It button on image hover