My Life, My Love, and the World As I See It

Technically, I'm posting twice in one day, but pretend that it's tomorrow. I have a feeling that work will be too busy for my to post and I have too many chores to allow blogging to distract me. So, I'm doing my bloggin' tonight.  And it's a little long winded. If you want to just get to the point, feel free to skip to the last paragraph.

*Disclaimer* 
The following paragraphs do not reflect any official views of the church. They are simply my interpretation of the way things are. (except for the links. That's legit) 

I did not grow up in a particularly religious household, but I live in a place (Utah) that was founded as the foundation of the LDS church (The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints) so naturally, religious beliefs have been a large part of my life.  Even if I had never attended church, I would still know all about how to be a Mormon.

Although I didn't attend church on a regular basis (I went through a stint in high school where I went every Sunday. I'm not sure why it didn't last...) I learned a whole lot about it. In Utah (and Idaho?) we have a building on school grounds where you can elect to go for one class a day and learn more about the church etc. It's called Seminary.  That is where I learned most of what I know. 

For the most part, Mormons are people that live their lives based on a set of rules and moral values described to them in the King James Version of the bible and The Book of Mormon.  I have learned a whole lot of excellent things from those books and I'm about to tell you about it.  Most of the time, I take them out of context and apply them to myself. Typically, you wouldn't do that and you would learn la lesson as a whole, but if you ask me, if you get something good out of it, does it really matter if it was taken out of context? Nope.

1.  One thing I learned (and I'm relearning right now) is that looking for signs is foolish. The universe isn't going to tell you what to do or how to do it, you will only know what to do because you know what is right inside of yourself.  
2.  It doesn't hurt to get on your knees and pray. Maybe you are just doing it to get words out into the world and ask for help, but it definitely doesn't hurt. 
3. There is no magical key to happiness. Personally happiness is determined by you and only you.
4. Forgive. Holding grudes will typically hurt you more than it will hurt the other person, so what's the point?
5. Faith extends beyond your religion. Not having faith in the things you don't fully understand or know will possibly lead to your demise... (so I just kinda decided that one. And by demise, I don't mean die...I just mean like, an overall unhappiness with stuff?)

And that is what I learned in Sunday School. I think that sometimes, I forget those things I know. I forget who I am and I let the opinions and ideals of others impress upon me too harshly.  I forget that I have a completely different thought process and way of dealing with things than the people around me and that I have a lot knowledge in this brain of mine. I should know better than to let other tell me how I should do things. This is my life, my love, and the world as I see. I need to use the things I know to make it the way that I want it.  Right?

I'm Katie. I'm a 20-something Soldier & student taking each day one step at a time. Living through all the growing pains that come with becoming that person that I always wanted to be & finding that bright side in all of this Camo-Colored Chaos. You can get to know more about me here.

Follow me on: Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram.

1 comment:

Allison said...

Hey there. I'm a new follower. I also like to apply the scriptures to my life. If I don't, I probably wouldn't read them as much. And as someone who often holds grudges, learning to forgive is a lesson I continually need to relearn. I've enjoyed reading your blog!

 
Pin It button on image hover